Helping You To Buy Right
Stethoscope For Your Need
How to Choose the Best Stethoscope for You?
As you know a stethoscope refers to the medical equipment that a doctor uses to listen to the internal sounds within a patient’s body. It is an acoustic device, typically comprising two tubes or one tube branched into two, attached to two separate earpieces.
They also have a small disc or round-shaped resonator that gets placed against the bare or covered skin of the patient to take note of the various sounds.
The sounds perceived using a stethoscope consist of those made by the lungs, heart, abdomen, intestines, bowel motion, and even due to the flow and movement of blood inside the veins and arteries.
It amplifies them so that it becomes easier for the doctor to hear them. These intensified or augmented sounds travel up to the earpiece of the stethoscope via the tube.
3M Littmann Classic III
- 37 Review(s)
- An ideal choice for use on practically all occasions.
- Warranty: 5 Years
- Colors: 13 Colors Available
3M Littmann 3200
- 62 Review(s)
- Excellent noise reduction capabilities along with sound amplification.
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Colors: 1 Color Available
ADC Adscope 618
- 57 Review(s)
- Cute and distinctive, work to attract children and lower their fears.
- Warranty: Lifetime
- Colors: 3 Colors Available
3M Littmann Lightweight II S.E
- 45 Review(s)
- Reliable and excellent sound performance, best for nursing students.
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Colors: 5 Colors Available
MDF Rose Gold MD One
- 39 Review(s)
- The MDF Rose Gold MD 1 comes with both high quality in function and look.
- Warranty: Lifetime
- Colors: 4 Colors Available
A stethoscope comes with two heads, namely:
The former helps to detect high-frequency sounds while the latter, low-frequency ones.
We have compiled a list of the best stethoscope for various cases in this article. It also has pros and cons for each.
These stethoscopes are the most suitable choices for the mentioned requirements and serve their features and abilities to an unsurpassed extent.
3M Littmann Classic III Stethoscope
The 3M Littmann Classic III Stethoscope is an ideal choice for use on practically all occasions.
It is a compact instrument that can effectively assess and monitor the physical condition of both adults and children.
It gets composed of sturdy but lightweight materials and allows the users to pick up even the subtle sounds made by the internal organs effortlessly and clearly.
- The stethoscope comes with soft-sealing ear tips that conform and adapt to the shape of the user’s ears. It permits an excellent fit and acoustic seal with no fear of it falling off.
- It has tunable technology that proffers both low and high-frequency sounds. It does not need to chest piece reposition.
- The tubing is resistant to alcohol and the oils present on the skin.
- It uses a latex-free and resilient material that helps retain its flexibility and shape.
- They do not have tube length variations.
Best for ICU and ER
3M Littmann 3200 Electronic Stethoscope
The 3M Littmann 3200 Electronic Stethoscope features excellent noise reduction capabilities along with sound amplification.
As a high-performance instrument that proffers frictional noise dampening, it is the best stethoscope for use in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and Emergency Room (ER) nurses.
In those places, multiple background uproars and clatters can diminish the sounds perceived by the instrument. It works with Bluetooth technology and a user-friendly interface.
- The stethoscope has snap-tight and soft-sealing ear tips. It proffers more comfort and efficiency during noise cancellation.
- The instrument can capture a maximum of twelve 30 second soundtracks from the patients and save them.
- The tubing has toxin-free and environmental-friendly materials. It does not contain phthalate plasticizers or rubber latex.
- It has a non-chill diaphragm that curbs discomfort to the patient.
- The stethoscope can eliminate approximately 85% of the surrounding noises.
- The stethoscope does not retain the settings until it gets custom-configured.
Best for Pediatric Nurses
ADC Adscope 618 Pediatric Stethoscope
The ADC Adscope 618 Pediatric Stethoscope comes with cute and distinctive molded animal faces made of resin.
They come in optimal sizes in the chest piece and work to attract children and lower their fears. This Pediatric stethoscope uses seven animal-shaped faces that are interchangeable, including a frog, koala, panda, tiger, deer, monkey, and bear.
The design of the technology can switch between bell-like low frequency and diaphragm-like high frequency, acquirable by changing the pressure settings.
- The stethoscope has a non-chill diaphragm and bell rim that proffers elements of comfort to the patient.
- The tubing is flexible and soft and does not contain any phthalate.
- The binaural is composed of lightweight aluminum and has a satin finish that matches the design.
- The ear tips have snap-on connections that provide the ultimate acoustic seal and comfort.
- It does not last for a long time as it is not quite durable.
Best for Nursing Students
3M Littmann Lightweight II S.E. Stethoscope
The 3M Littmann Lightweight II S.E. Stethoscope provides reliable and excellent sound performance that aids significantly in the measurement of blood pressure and other rudimentary physical assessments.
Hence, they serve as the best stethoscope for nursing students. The teardrop shape helps in auscultation around bandages and under the blood pressure cuffs.
The apparatus is lightweight and does not exert any pressure when hanged on the neck.
- The stethoscope allows a choice when performing auscultation. The doctors and nursing students can work with either the open bell or the tunable diaphragm. The former option suits pediatric patients and the latter, adults.
- It has soft-sealing and snap-tight ear tips that help to diminish the surrounding noises and allow for a comfortable fit in the ear.
- The tubing is user and environmental-friendly as it does not contain any phthalate plasticizers or rubber latex.
- It does not come with additional ear tips.
Best for Cardiology
ADC Adscope 600 Platinum Series Cardiology Stethoscope
The ADC Adscope 600 Platinum Series Cardiology Stethoscope amalgamates the acoustic response of a diaphragm and traditional bell.
It proffers its convenient and desirable features in the chest piece. It uses increased pressure for diaphragm-type and high frequencies and a decreased pressure for bell-type and low frequencies.
It features a dual-channel or bi-lumen headset for enhanced stereo separation. The stethoscope offers a choice between three metal varnishes, namely titanium gold, stainless, and tactical.
- The stethoscope offers outstanding performance with impressive and desirable ergonomics and rugged durability.
- The retaining rim of the diaphragm has a non-chill feature that provides comfort to the patient.
- The bi-lumen tubing is flexible and soft and does not contain toxic substances like phthalate.
- The stainless steel and large-bore binaural of the headset remain fixed at an angle of 15 degrees. It helps to maximize the acoustic seal and comfort.
- The stethoscopes are relatively heavy.
MDF Rose Gold MD One Stethoscope
The MDF Rose Gold MD One Stethoscope comes with both high quality in function and look.
It incorporates and uses a diaphragm and bell design to enhance the sounds perceived by the ear. The stethoscope also has features of safety.
It provides clear and crisp acoustics for all the internal organs like the lung, heart, stomach, etc.
The stethoscope has an angled headset along with soft silicone ear tips. All the attributes combine to proffer a high and dependable performance.
- The stethoscope has no toxic substances like latex. It is thus user and environmental-friendly.
- It has enhanced durability due to its dual-leaf and secured construction.
- The patented safety lock of the stethoscope ensures protection against accidental stabbing in the ear and thus prevents punctured or ruptured eardrums.
- It proffers options of adjusting the frequencies to low or high, as the situation dictates and requires.
- They are relatively heavy.
Best Carrying Case for Traveling Nurses
Caseling Hard Case
Merely finding the best stethoscope for a particular situation does not close the case.
A carrying case is necessary since it is not possible to carry the instrument around the neck continuously.
The Caseling Hard Case provides a perfect option for protecting the stethoscope and traveling with it without any issues.
It has adequate space to store the instrument and other tools.
- The carrying case is waterproof and shockproof. It protects the tools inside from getting wet or damaged.
- It has a wrist strap that the users can wind around their arm or palm to carry it effortlessly and conveniently.
- The case is durable and can withstand scratches and impacts. Hence, it lasts for a long time.
- It has an additional penlight holder with a mesh pocket inside that helps to keep the items organized.
- It does not have any banding inside to hold the tools in place.
What to Look for in a Stethoscope?
When looking for a stethoscope that an individual can use, all may seem like the best stethoscope. However, based on personal preferences, conveniences, and needs and requirements, the choice may differ based on several factors and parameters.
Any person who wishes to buy a stethoscope must consider them carefully to avoid making a meaningless purchase. Additionally, the correct choice helps in making the best of the individual’s skills with the instrument.
A few of these parameters comprise of the following:
The thickness of the tubing of a stethoscope is an exceedingly essential factor. It influences the noise cancellation ability and capacity of the instrument. Overall, thicker tubing is the better choice to block out to reduce the background noises when the doctor has to listen to the patient’s internal sounds. It also proffers the required and adequate weight to wear or hang the stethoscope around the neck.
The thickness also adds to the sturdiness and durability of the stethoscope. It ensures that the instrument does not bend when subjected to impact and collisions. When the tubing is too thin, it cannot cancel out the frequency produced and received from the environment.
The size of a stethoscope does not refer to solely the length of the entire instrument. The term considers several elements. The foremost is the size of the chest piece, whose parts are responsible for picking up and capturing the internal sounds of the patients. Depending on the person on whom the auscultation needs to get done, the dimensions may vary. For pediatric patients or children, a smaller chest piece suffices.
It is not the case for adults where a larger one is required. Some stethoscopes also come with bells on each edge of the chest piece that allows the doctors to cater to a broader age group and population of patients.
Another element is the size of the foam earpieces. They work to cancel out the surrounding noises to enable the doctors to listen to only the sounds from the patient’s body. Thus, they must fit steadily and accurately in the ears. As such, with varying ear sizes, earpieces of different dimensions are necessary. The best stethoscope is one that will have rubber tubing on these parts to allow them to mold themselves to the ear canal.
The primary purpose of a stethoscope is to capture the internal sound of a patient’s body. Hence, sound quality is a vital parameter to consider during the purchase of the equipment.
The better the sound quality of a stethoscope, the more it can block out the background noise and shift the auditory focus toward the required sounds. For this reason, it is best to try out various products and check which one is the superior one when it comes to loudness amplification.
Doctors and nurses have to wear a stethoscope around their necks for most of the day to enable easy access. During these times, the instrument gets subjected to impact, wear and tear, and other elements that lead to its damage.
On account of these reasons, the stethoscope must be durable enough to last for at least a few years. It ensures that the equipment does not need frequent replacing.
The durability depends on the constituent materials, primarily rubber and aluminum.
Fit for Profession
The requirements and specifications for any stethoscope will differ for pediatricians, cardiologists, ER nurses, and other specialized medical personnel. They will have different features and attributes for frequencies, sound quality, durability, and so on. Based on which line of the profession they work in, an individual must choose a suitable stethoscope.
A stethoscope is an essential instrument for the initial check-up of a patient. It helps the medical personnel get a fundamental understanding of which treatment plan and regime to follow without looking at the scans and reports. That is why one must select and use a stethoscope that can work appropriately in a particular field. It must deliver results to the best of its abilities.
Cardiologists would work well with the ADC Adscope 600 Platinum Series Cardiology Stethoscope. The nursing students would find the 3M Littmann Lightweight II S.E. Stethoscope easier to use and more inclined towards their interests and needs. Similarly, the MDF Rose Gold MD One Stethoscope works best for a stylish and extravagant look.
The 3M Littmann Classic III Stethoscope serves as the best stethoscope for cumulative performance. It can find application in multiple medical and nursing fields and has several features that cater to various requirements.
Who I Am
Hey, This is Edna Harlow here, I’m a full time nurse and part time blogger. I specialize in health and wellness topics so that’s why I started this blog. At Columbia University I earned my master’s degree and currently work at UCHealth.
At Stethoscopesguides.com, you will get detailed information about various types of Stethoscope available in the market. I gonna review the most popular brands and their models in this blog. If you want me to review any particular Stethoscope for yourself then feel free to contact me using this contact form.
Suggestions and Comments are always welcome..
- Littmann Classic III Stethoscope Review
- Littmann Classic II S.E. Review
- How to Use a Stethoscope?
- How To Clean a Stethoscope?
www.Stethoscopesguides.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com