Littmann Classic II S.E. Review
A stethoscope is a very important tool for doctors, nurses as well as medical students. Many would say that a stethoscope is an irreplaceable instrument because of how important its use is.
The sound emanating from cavities or organs of the body is amplified by stethoscopes. Some very soft sounds can be overlooked if no such tool is present to enhance them. Medics can easily detect them through amplification. This shortens the time it takes to diagnose a patient. This will make it possible to provide medical assistance fast and thus save many lives.
Littmann Classic II S.E is the stethoscope that has the best reviews and ratings on popular e-commerce websites like Amazon.
The Littmann Classic II S.E. has an average score of 4.75 out of 5 and 9.7 out of 10 on Amazon and has more than 6000 positive reviews to its name, which guarantees how good it is.
Let’s dive into deep and know why it is one of the best stethoscope you can buy right now.
Littmann Classic II S.E. Overview
One of the most popular choices for stethoscopes in the medical world is the Littmann Classic II S.E. This is what most students in medical schools go for and is the first and only choice for most general practitioners and students.
Brand: Littmann | Model: Classic | Our Score: 9/10
It is the stethoscope that has the most sales in the market. It is also the most popular version of the line of Littman stethoscopes and is the one that sells best in the market.
The popularity of the Littmann Classic II S.E. is because it is made of metal instead of plastic. The other stethoscopes in the Littman stethoscopes are not so popular or preferred because they have a very simple design and are made of plastic.
This is why they are rated lower than the Littmann Classic II S.E. Even though they are a little cheaper, stethoscopes made of plastic resin have a shorter lifespan and need to be replaced quicker. Therefore, those are not the first choice of students and beginners in the medical field because of the lower value for money they provide.
So, it is clear why the Littmann Classic II S.E. is preferred so much by everybody. It is a combination of the two most important features that a beginner would require in a stethoscope.
- The Littmann Classic II S.E. is priced at about $70, which is affordable and reasonable compared to the other stethoscopes in the market.
- The other key feature that makes it popular and a favorite of its users is that it is made of metal.
It is the only product in the range of Littman stethoscopes that has this combination of both features.
These two points of difference make it so appealing since it is under the budget of every student and novice and its good quality also ensures that it is strong and sturdy, will last for a long time, and will not have to be replaced before at least a decade.
Littmann Classic II S.E. Pros & Cons
- It has a traditional design which makes it perfect for someone who might be using a stethoscope for the first time. This is why it is preferred by students and general practitioners as the first stethoscope that they buy.
- Since it has a single tube, it eliminates external noise and ensures that all the sounds can be heard clearly.
- The tunable diaphragm enables the stethoscope to pick up faint sounds too so that no problem can go undetected. The traditional bell on the other side is also a nice touch since it gives students the feel of a traditional stethoscope.
- The Littmann Classic II S.E. has excellent capabilities for a basic assessment of the patient. This makes it preferable for novice or general professionals in the medical field and students. It enables them to hear, identify and assess all the sounds in the body coming from the heart, lungs, and other organs for medical diagnosis.
- The most important benefit undoubtedly is its affordability. This is the biggest reason for its popularity since the Littmann Classic II S.E. provides the best traditional stethoscope for beginners in this field.
- Another advantage is that the Littmann products are made in the USA. This again ensures that they are of good quality and are built to last a long time.
- The Littmann Classic II S.E. offers good warranty coverage of three years which is perfectly adequate for a product in this market.
- Some people who use this product think that the Littmann Classic II S.E. stethoscope is priced higher than stethoscopes that are similar in design and features. However, it is agreed upon that more expensive products ensure good quality and long life. If you go for cheaper models, you may need to replace the product or its parts sooner.
- Another complaint from the users is that the stethoscope tube becomes a little stiff after a few years of using it. But this is a common problem with most stethoscopes and is not a unique problem with this one.
- Some users also mention that the stethoscope tube is sticky to touch in the beginning, but it gets better with time. It is recommended that you should get a cover for the tube to prevent its wear and tear.
- One possible disadvantage is that it has a generic appearance, design, and function. So it is not useful for experienced professionals and examination of special areas like the neck.
- The acoustic performance of the stethoscope is not very great. It gets the basic work done, but some other models of the Cardiology Series of stethoscopes have a better sound quality than the Littmann Classic II S.E.
Classic II S.E. Specs
|Specifications||Littmann Classic II S.E.|
|Application||Physical Assessment and Diagnosis|
|Binaural Construction||Single lumen|
|Headset Material||Anodized aluminum|
|Chestpiece Finish||Stainless Steel|
|Chestpiece Weight||40 Ounce|
|Diaphragm Diameter||1.31 Inch|
|Diaphragm Type||Floating Diaphragm|
|Small Diaphragm Diameter||1 Inch|
|Eartip Type||Soft Sealing|
|Tubing Color||Black, Navy Blue, Hunter Green, Raspberry, Pink, Pine Green, Peach, Dark Olive Green, Grey, Caribbean Blue, Purple, Orange, Pearl Pink, Ocean Blue|
|EMC||Plasticizers such as phthalates are not present in 3MTM Littmann® tubing. As a result, it is more resistant to skin oils and alcohol, and is less likely to acquire stains.|
Littmann Classic II S.E. Features
Check out some of the main features of Classic II S.E.
Its acoustical sensitivity is exactly right. It is just perfect in this regard and makes it easy to listen to sounds very crisply and clearly.
The ear tips block out all noise interruptions with the soft seal technology in its ear tips. It is, therefore, an excellent instrument to use when the environment is loud.
It has a tunable diaphragm. This feature allows the user to adjust the pressure according to convenience to measure high and low-frequency sounds. Therefore, while listening to the sound, users don’t need to adjust the chest piece constantly.
It has a chest piece that is designed to make it more convenient to perform an uninterrupted physical examination of the patient.
Its chest piece makes it easier to use the stethoscope around difficult areas, such as blood pressure cuffs and places where the body contours.
It has a double-sided chest piece made of stainless steel.
The stethoscope also has a compact design that makes it reliable and versatile to use during auscultation.
Fit & Feel
It has a headset that fits anatomically to ensure optimal hearing by conforming to the pathway of the ear canal.
Materials & Manufacturing
The fact that it is made of material that does not have latex makes the stethoscope great for the users that may be sensitive to allergy. The non-latex rubber also helps in keeping the tube free of stains. This helps in increasing the lifespan of the stethoscope too.
It is also additionally comfortable for patients, ensured by the non-chill rim and a diaphragm made up of Epoxy or fiberglass.
Weight & Tube Length
It has a tube that is 28 inches long which is a good enough length.
It weighs approximately 5.7 ounces. It is not as light compared to most other stethoscopes used for general medical practice. However, it is also not as heavy as some of the good-quality stethoscopes in the market.
General Use and Maintenance
- Extremes of temperature, solvents, and oils should be avoided.
- It is possible to wash the entire stethoscope with alcohol or soap and water.
- The eartubes can be thoroughly cleaned by removing the eartips.
Note: Stethoscopes should not be submerged in liquids or steamed sterilized. When disinfection is needed, you can clean the stethoscope with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
It is evident from the features and design that the Littmann Classic II S.E. is good and perfectly appropriate for students and new professionals as an introduction to stethoscopes. It is an excellent product to buy for the first time when you need something easy to use and will help you get more knowledge and practice about the physical examination of patients.
So, it is also useful for new nurses or general practitioners. However, those physicians or specialists who need significant acoustic performance shouldn’t consider this stethoscope since Grade I murmurs, and cardiac sounds will not be audible using this stethoscope.
It is also not fit to be used for the examination of children. Since the Littmann Classic II S.E. has a traditional open bell on one side of its chest piece, it is more appropriate for detecting low-frequency sounds. Stethoscopes with a tunable diaphragm on both sides are used for pediatric patients. So, you could check out the Littmann Classic III or Littmann Cardiology series if you have more patients who are children.
In conclusion, this is a good option that is affordable for anyone who requires a basic stethoscope. The Littmann Classic II S.E. has a chest piece of stainless steel, while its superior models have those of an aerospace steel alloy. These are also higher in price because of it. The tube, however, is of the same material. It does not fold or tear under pressure and retains its original shape throughout its life. It is free of latex, does not stain or become oily.
Hey, This is Edna Harlow here, I’m a full time nurse and part time blogger. I specialize in health and wellness topics so that’s why I started this blog. At Columbia University I earned my master’s degree and currently work at UCHealth.
At Stethoscopesguides.com, you will get detailed information about various types of Stethoscope available in the market. I gonna review the most popular brands and their models in this blog. If you want me to review any particular Stethoscope for yourself then feel free to contact me using this contact form.
Suggestions and Comments are always welcome..
www.Stethoscopesguides.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com